I’ve never been a fan of potato french fries. I’m actually not a fan of potatoes in general, with the exception of the occasional sweet potato. I decided that I wanted to make a healthy french fry alternative with a purpose. No oils, frying, or heavy starchy ingredients here! These healthy eggplant fries are baked to perfection in a crispy golden flax-almond breading.
Now, I know what half of you are thinking. “Ewwwww eggplant!” I think a lot of my friends are turned off by the mushy texture of cooked eggplant, but trust me this is totally different! Even if you HATE eggplant, I am almost positive you will love these fries! You have to give them a try, pretty pretty please! Of course if you’re super anti-eggplant, zucchini would be a great alternative as well.
They’re perfectly crispy, delicious, and nutritious!
Made from flaxseed, almond, whole wheat flour, and spices, these oil-free baked fries deliver tons of micronutrients, healthy plant-based fats, and fiber. So good for you, you can eat them alllll without any worry!
1 small eggplant
1/4 cup egg whites
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp almond meal/flour
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine all of the breading ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
3. In a separate bowl, beat 1/4 cup of egg whites and set aside.
4. Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch thick fries (I removed the skin but you don’t have to).
5. Transfer the breading mixture to a plate.
6. Dip each piece of eggplant individually into the egg whites, and then roll in the breading mixture.
7. Place the breaded fries onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, flip fries, then bake for an additional 10 minutes until golden and crispy.
Excellent when dipped in fresh marinara!