Thanksgiving may be a distant memory, but I still crave warm and nutritious comfort foods. Cue my sweet potatoes stuffed with roasted brussels sprouts and hearty pecans. True to Kale With Love form, this unique dish is basic and easy, yet healthy and satisfying.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
– 2 large sweet potatoes or yams
– about 12 brussels sprouts, rinsed and quartered
– 1/2 cup pecans (I prefer raw organic)
– 4 tablespoons high quality extra virgin olive oil
– sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
– Wash the sweet potatoes, and pierce skin several times with a fork.
– Bake the potatoes at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a knife can easily be inserted into them.
– When the potatoes are about 20 minutes from being done, toss the brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and place on a baking sheet in the 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove when the leaves just begin to brown and turn crispy.
– Slice the baked potatoes in half lengthwise, and use a fork to lightly soften up the insides.
– Toss the brussels sprouts with pecans, and place a quarter of the mixture on top of each open-faced potato half.
– Optional: sprinkle the tops with a bit more olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Impress your friends with this one at the next dinner party!