A few weeks ago, pears were on sale at the grocery store. By the bagful. Naturally, we bought 3. I love buying entire bags of fruit because it makes my mind go wild with all the things I can create and bake and cook with such an abundance of one great ingredient. So, I decided to make chai infused pear & date bread. You’re going to have to trust me when I tell you how absolutely delectable these things are.
And when it comes to pears and apples, my mind always pictures home cooked baked goods studded with gooey apple and lots of cinnamon, steaming and fresh out of the oven, that I can hardly wait to cool and get my hands into. I think it’s something to do with growing up on an apple farm and always having so many apple desserts sitting and cooling in the kitchen.
Most days, the truth is, I always want something like this sitting on the counter, both because I get to bake it and because we get to eat it immediately, while it is still too hot to touch. I always crave hearty baked goods, that are dense and packed with nutritious ingredients, with cinnamon and bursting fruit and unique, satisfying flavours that just make you feel all warm inside when you bite into them. That’s kind of where I was going with this bread, and I’m totally okay with how it turned out. The oat and spelt flours give it that dense consistency, and there is so much pear and date in it, that you are sure to get a piece in every bite. The best! And the combination of the chai tea and cinnamon makes it taste like a delicious cup of tea and bread all in one.
This isn’t a crumbly, light, airy bread. If that’s what you’re after, you might have to try something else. But if you are ready for a dense, moist bread, loaded with fruit and fiber, heaps of nutrition and the kind that fills your house with the smell of cinnamon and chai, then this one is for you. Enjoy!
The subtle flavours of chai alongside the sweetness of the pear and date make this bread a delicious option for breakfast, snack or dessert!
Ingredients (12 slices)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat spelt flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp ginger
1 flax egg (2 tbsp ground flaxseed and 2 tbsp water, set until a gel)
1 banana, pureed until smooth
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/8 cup raw honey
1 cup chai tea
1/4 cup almond milk
1 cup pear, diced
3/4 cup dates, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Boil water and prepare a chai tea. I used fresh chai tea leaves, but a bag would work as well. You want it to be quite concentrated, so only add 1 cup of water and leave the tea bag in until you are ready to use it in the bread. Set it aside to cool. It should be luke-warm when you add it to the bread.
3. Prepare your flax egg by combining 2 tbsp ground flaxseed and 2 tbsp water, stir and set aside.
4. For the bread, add all purpose flour, oat flour, spelt flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger to a large bowl and stir to combine. Add in the flax egg, stirring gently to incorporate.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together pureed banana, coconut oil, honey, tea and almond milk.
6. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Add pear and dates and finish stirring until everything is fully incorporated.
7. Pour mixture into a paper lined loaf pan and place in preheated oven.
8. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until stick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Cool on a rack and slice.
*Store leftovers in an airtight container.