I don’t know about you, but when I wake up in the morning, I’m hungrier than the hungriest hippo in the… lake? Marsh? Ocean? Wait, where do hippos live again? Well, whatever. That’s beside the point. The point is that I usually wake up quite hungry. Like, really hungry. Like, I-can’t-wait-ten-minutes-for-scrambled-eggs hungry. So imagine my joy and surprise when I saw my brother-in-law make microwaved scrambled eggs one morning! No waiting around? No dirty pan and spatula? It was a lazy girl’s dream come true. (Maybe this is common knowledge and I’m just late to the party, but either way, I was totally psyched.)
Since that fateful day, I have spent countless mornings perfecting the art of the microwaved egg, and I think I’ve come up with a winning formula! For me, there are two keys to making the eggs delicious: choosing the right ingredients and making sure not to overcook the eggs. The ingredients are simple; just pick what you like, and you’re all set! But the cooking process is a bit more complicated. Microwaves, like people, all react a little differently when it’s time to go to work, so I can’t guarantee that my formula will work for you and your micro-buddy, but I encourage you to keep trying until you find the perfect cooking time for your eggs.
With those disclaimers out of the way, we can move on to the recipe itself.
– 1 whole egg, 1 egg white
– 2 tbsp grated cheese (mozzarella and cheddar are my favorites)
– Your favorite veggie or herb mix-ins, chopped
1. Crack eggs into a deep, ceramic cereal bowl and beat with a fork until well mixed.
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir again using the same fork. (I’m going somewhere with this fork business, so bear with me.)
3. Microwave for approximately 90 seconds, pausing the microwave half-way through to stir with that same fork.
4. When the eggs are fully cooked and no longer runny, stir one last time with a new, clean fork. 5. It may seem silly and wasteful (who wants to get another piece of cutlery dirty!?), but it’s way better than exposing yourself to Salmonella!
6. Add salt, pepper, ketchup, or whatever other condiments you prefer, and enjoy your delicious breakfast.