Being gluten-free and a lover of crepes can sometimes be a challenge, but not today! These chickpea crepes are not only delicious and easy to make, they are also versatile as all get-out. There are no limits to the variety of savory things you can dress them up with. They make the perfect weekend brunch 🙂
– 3/4 cup of chickpea flour
– 1 cup of water
– 1 tsp. sea salt
– 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
– Ghee, as needed
1. Combine all of the ingredients above except for the ghee in a bowl, mix thoroughly to create a batter and let stand at room temperature for about an hour to thicken (or overnight in the fridge).
2. When ready to cook, heat a small pan coated with ghee, and scoop about 2 Tbsp. or 1/8 cup of batter in the pan. The batter should naturally form a circle as you pour it in.
3. Let it cook without touching until you see the edges have turned golden brown, use a thin spatula to scoop up the crepe and flip it, adding more ghee if needed.
4. When both sides are cooked, transfer to a plate and keep warm in the oven as you continue cooking more crepes.
Side note: I found that some of the batter would stick to the pan right at the center, so if that happens I recommend you scrape that off between each crepe otherwise it will burn and prevent even cooking.
While the crepes are cooking, you’ll have time to prepare your toppings. Any variety of raw or sautéed veggies will go great here, as well as things like olives, beans, cheeses, etc. I made the most recent batch with caramelized onions, sautéed spinach with garlic, and fresh tomato and mozzarella cheese. A cup of rooibos tea on the side makes the perfect complement.
Experiment and enjoy!