Mondays are always crazy, so we’re kicking off the week with this healthy winter recipe that only requires 10 minutes of prep time! We came across this delicious soup on Daily Garnish over the weekend, and knew it would make the perfect Monday night meal. Easy, healthy, and garnished with avocado? We’re sold!
3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
1.5 medium onions, diced
3 gloves garlic, minced
4 –6 cups vegetable broth (use 4 if you want a thicker stew-like soup, and 6 if you prefer a brothier soup)
1 bunch kale, washed and trimmed
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small avocado, diced
salt and pepper (to taste)
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cube the sweet potatoes and rutabaga into evenly sized pieces. Toss with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper, and spread evenly onto a sheet pan.
– Roast the vegetables for 45 minutes, or until browned and tender, stirring once halfway through cooking.
– Once the vegetables are done, sauté the onions and garlic over medium high heat in a heavy-bottomed pot (like a Dutch oven) until soft and starting to turn brown.
– Add roasted vegetables, vegetable broth, and spices and bring up to a simmer.
– Fill pot to the top with kale (washed and torn), and cover for at least 10 minutes so that the kale will wilt and steam.
– Check kale for tenderness after 10 minutes. Once ready, add rinsed black beans and stir well to heat through.
– Adjust final seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle and serve into individual bowls, and top with freshly diced avocado.
For more tips and details on this recipe, check out the full post on www.dailygarnish.com.