I am LOVING all the squash, sweet potatoes, greens and pomegranates that are in season right now! I always gravitate towards roasted veggies once the weather gets cooler. They are a must when it comes to staying healthy, but also getting that warm comforting feeling we crave during the colder months. There’s no rhyme or reason to this salad, I just used whatever sounded good at the time and then threw it all together! I love the way it turned out.
– greens (I used baby spinach, arugula, and kale)
– shredded carrots
– broccoli florets, steamed
– vegetables for roasting (I used 1 acorn squash and 2 sweet potatoes)
– seeds from 1 pomegranate
– 1 avocado, sliced
– hemp seeds as garnish
– vinaigrette (I used my favorite homemade lemon vinaigrette recipe)
For the roasted veggies I used:
– 1 acorn squash
– 2 sweet potatoes.
1. Cut your acorn squash in half and remove the seeds.
2. Cut into thick wedges and place in a ziplock bag with a drizzle of olive oil.
3. Shake until completely coated. Kids love to do this part so have them help you shake the bag and then place the wedges onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Repeat with sweet potatoes cut into disks and roast in the oven at 400F until slightly browned (about 20-25 mins) flipping your veggies halfway through.
5. While the veggies are roasting, lightly steam your broccoli in salted water.
Assembly: For the base of this salad I used baby spinach, baby arugula, shredded carrots and kale. Use your hands to tear the kale into tiny pieces. Then add steamed broccoli, pomegranate seeds, avocado slices, and drizzle with your vinaigrette. Then place roasted veggies on top and sprinkle with hemp seeds. Viola! Your gorgeous vegetables are ready to eat!