I loveeee pizza. I mean… I am part Italian. I have quite a few friends that are gluten free and some friends that are trying to limit their bread intake, so I accepted the challenge to make bread-less pizza. This actually may have outdone my Cauliflower Pizza. Not only does this recipe taste amazing, but it’s also gluten free AND vegan!
Sooooo, what is polenta?
Polenta is a paste or dough made from stone-ground yellow corn, which is boiled and then typically baked or fried.
I’ve been buying my polenta at Trader Joe’s, and I’m really happy with the consistency and texture. If you didn’t know this already, Trader Joe’s has a list of every single Vegan product that they carry! This list is super helpful if you are interested in eating a more plant based diet, or if you are interested in trying new products! There are so many treats on the list that I actually had no idea were vegan!
Mini Polenta Pizzas
– 1 tube Polenta (I love Trader Joe’s brand)
– 1 tsp olive oil
– 1 Tbsp marinara sauce
– 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella or vegan cheese
– 2 mini bell peppers
– 2 mushrooms
1. Preheat the broiler to high.
2. Cut four 1/4 inch thick pieces of polenta from the tube/packaging.
3. Place the polenta disks on a baking sheet covered in foil.
4. Brush one side of the polenta with the olive oil.
5. Place in the oven and broil until the tops begin to turn golden, about 1-2 minutes (watch closely as broiler heat varies).
6. Remove from oven and flip the polenta disks over to the opposite side.
7. Spread each polenta disk with marinara sauce, then top with cheese and other toppings.
8. Place the baking sheet in the oven again and broil until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 1 more minute.
9. Serve warm.
The Rabbit Food Pyramid Breakdown:
Produce: bell peppers, mushroom, and marinara sauce
Whole Grain: polenta
Plant Based Fat: olive oil
Rabbit Food Meal Tip: Complete this meal with a full serving of veggies by tossing your extra veggies (bell peppers and onions) in a bowl with two cups of fresh salad greens and balsamic for an extra filling dinner.