You know how some people love shopping for new clothes? Well, I’m not one of those people. I actually really hate it.
Don’t get me wrong; I love having new clothes! But the process of getting them can be more than a tad stressful, especially given my… er… slightly curvier physique. It seems like the sizes are always different from one store to another, and then there’s the challenge of finding things that fit your exact body shape, even when they are your size. Whether you’re short or tall, slim or stocky, you know what I mean. Shopping just stinks.
After years of frustrating trips to the mall that ended in tears and empty-handed departures, I’ve come up with a list of do’s and don’ts when it comes to clothes.
The Ten Shopping Commandments
1. Thou shalt set realistic expectations. If you’re expecting to find everything you want in the first store you visit, you may be disappointed.
2. Start at the stores where you’ve had the most success in the past. Save the “I wonder what that place is like!” stores until the end.
3. Leave plenty of time for the trip. Rushing because of time pressure only adds to the stress.
4. Don’t shop on an empty stomach OR after a huge meal. You want to feel comfortable while you’re trying on clothes, and neither a rumbling tummy nor a food-baby belly will help!
5. Go in with a game plan. While some impulse purchases are okay, you should have a general idea of your shopping list before the trip begins.
6. Research the sizing at your favorite stores so you know in advance which ones tend to run small or large.
7. When in doubt about two sizes, opt for the larger one first. It’s always more fun to tell the sales person “I need a smaller size!” than to ask for a larger one.
8. If you need support, phone a friend! Some of us like to shop solo, but others crave the moral support. If you’re one of the latter, then make sure that you have your posse with you as you enter the war zone.
9. Don’t feel obligated to follow every trend. There’s no law saying that you have to wear something just because it’s “in” this year!
10. … but, on the other hand, don’t be afraid to try something new and different. If you’re not sure how something should fit or whether you’re wearing it right, go ahead and ask a sales person! That’s their job, after all.
Most importantly, always remember that your body is beautiful just the way it is, and you can look great no matter what you wear!
Image via Dose of Vitamin F.