No time to hit the gym? No worries! Here are 5 simple exercises you can do around the house: in your kitchen, at your desk, on the couch. The best part is that you don’t need any props. No weights, yoga mat, or kettle ball. (Now there are really no excuses for getting some daily exercise in!) These exercises are good to do when you’re bored, lounging around the house or don’t have the time to go all the way to the gym. More exercises and tips below:
1. CALF RAISES – First ground through all 4 corners of the foot, then raise to your tippy toes to engage calves, repeat 50-100 times.
2. UPPER BODY STETCH – This is a great movement to do while you’re stuck at a desk. Grab one wrist and stretch in the opposite direction, then front to back. Keep shoulder blades down the back and widen collarbones.
3. TRICEP DIPS – Plant hands on a sturdy table, keep your knees over your ankles, and dip! Keep elbows parallel, don’t let them splay out to the sides. Repeat 10-15 times x3 reps.
4. PUSH UPS – Plant hands on a sturdy table, walk back until you have a flat back. Lengthen your pelvis down and neck long. Repeat 10-15 times x3 reps.
5. LEG LIFTS – Possibly the simplest execise to do while watching TV or reading a magazine, keep leg straight, toes pointing slightly down, and lift. Repeat 20 times x3 reps.
BONUS: Jump rope to get your heart rate up. Do crunches on the floor (better than a couch because it’s more sturdy). Do plank and hold for 1-2 minutes 3 times.
We partnered with LA-based yoga instructor Sam Negrin for this video.