It’s far too easy to fall into a greasy trap of savory but heavy food over Memorial Day weekend, especially if you’re traveling to take advantage of the long weekend. Don’t eat what you’ll regret come Tuesday morning though boo. There’s plenty of healthy-ish food options that are just as yummy with less calories than your typical cook-out meals.
So “healthify” your Memorial Day meals all weekend with these recipes we put together!
- Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers.
- Tequila-Glazed Grilled Shrimp.
- White Sangria With Strawberries.
- Pork Lettuce Wraps.
- Crispy Oven “Fried” Chicken.
Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
¼ cup rolled oats
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (roughly a 2-ounce piece of bread)
¼ teaspoon lime zest
¾ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp salt
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pulse the oats in a food processor until fine. Transfer into a large bowl with breadcrumbs, zest, chili powder and salt. Whisk together ingredients.
- Combine beans, garlic and onions in the food processor and pulse until mixture becomes a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into the oat and breadcrumb bowl and mix with a spatula. Add the egg and oregano and stir until just combined.
- With moistened hands, divide the bean mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each into a 3-inch patty.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan and cook until bottom edges are browned, about 4 minutes. Carefully turn patties over and cook 3 minutes longer or until bottom edges are browned.
Recipe via Daily Burn
Tequila-Glazed Grilled Shrimp
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails left on
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 jalapeno chili, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Zest of 1 lime plus lime wedges, for serving
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup tequila
1 shallot, finely chopped
8 bamboo skewers
Chopped fresh chives (optional)
Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- In a large Ziploc bag, combine shrimp, oil, half the jalapeno, half the garlic, zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- In a shallow saucepan, combine remaining jalapeno and garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, orange juice, tequila, and shallots. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is thick, about 10 minutes.
- Soak the skewers in water briefly and thread four shrimp per skewer.
- Heat a gas grill on high and grill shrimp, turning once, until just opaque, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plates and drizzle tequila sauce over the shrimp. Garnish with chives and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe via Daily Burn
White Sangria With Strawberries
- Add lemon slices to a large pitcher, then the apples and strawberries.
- Pour the wine and rum over the top.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and add the lemon lime soda.
- Add a few pieces of the fruit to your glass and pour sangria over to serve.
- Leftovers keep for a day or so, but you likely won’t have any! ?
Recipe via Kitchen Treaty
Pork Lettuce Wraps
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add ground pork and cook until no longer pink, 5 minutes. Add hoisin sauce and Sriracha and stir until combined.
- Spoon pork into lettuce leaves and sprinkle with carrots, scallions, and sesame seeds and drizzle with Sriracha. Serve with extra hoisin, if desired.
Recipe via Delish
Crispy Oven-fried Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each cut in 3 strips
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 F°. Place butter on a large baking sheet and place in the oven to melt. Once butter is melted remove from oven.
- Add flour, seasoning salt, salt , pepper and paprika in a large ziploc bag. Add 3 pieces of chicken at a time and shake to coat.
- Place coated chicken strips on the baking sheet, leaving a space between each strip. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, flip chicken with a pair of tongs, then bake another 10 to 12 minutes or until inside is cooked through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!