Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you: a healthy Middle Eastern dish!
I’ve been addicted to Trader Joe’s Balela Salad (Middle Eastern chickpea & black bean salad) for a while now. Balela is savory and tangy with a gratifying bite. Plus, thanks to the amazing plant-based protein and fiber, it’s quite filling. I’m pretty sure you guys are going to be hooked like I am!
It’s amazing on it’s own, but if you are following the Rabbit Food Pyramid, you can add some lettuce and tuck it into a whole wheat pita pocket, or serve over a bed of lettuce and quinoa!
– 1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked (I use Eden Organic – No Salt Added Chickpeas)
– 1/4 cup black beans, cooked (I use 365 Organic No Salt Added Black Beans)
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh tomato
– 3 Tbsp lemon juice
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
– 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
– 2 cloves garlic
– 2 Tbsp cup chopped red onion
– 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
Pinch of cayenne
Salt & Pepper to taste
Rinse and strain cooked chickpeas and black beans. Chop, tomato, garlic, red onion, parsley, and mint. Combine together with the chickpeas, beans, lemon juice, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Add cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
*Note: This dish is best after the chickpeas have marinated for several hours of overnight.