Chocolate cupcakes are one of life’s little pleasures. There is something about the perfection in the frosting around the top, the overload of chocolate bursting out of the cupcake and the creamy topping, and the combination of cake and smooth, dreamy frosting that always makes them a win. They make your heart happy, your mind at ease, your day’s struggles go away, and leave your mouth covered in a sloppy, chocolate dripping smile.
And they are just so pretty! If I could only ever make fancy cakes and cupcakes and not get to eat them, it would actually be totally fine with me. My favourite part about them is making them look exciting.
But if you need a little convincing, consider that these ones are made with no refined sugar, are vegan and gluten free, and that creamy, dreamy icing? It contains no butter at all! They secretly have two different types of fruit in them and are loaded with antioxidant rich cacao. And of course the icing gets its shining peanut butter colours from my new friend peanut butter flour. You could even say these are on the edge of healthy as far as cupcakes are concerned. But shhhh, don’t tell . . . because when you eat them, you’d never be able to guess!
Creamy icing and moist chocolate cupcakes make the perfect dessert or special treat. The best part is there is no refined sugar and they are vegan and gluten free!
Ingredients (6 cupcakes)
3 ripe bananas
2 medjool dates
1/4 cup sorghum flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/3 cup raw cacao
1/2 ripe banana
1 cup coconut cream (top portion of a refrigerated can of coconut milk)
3 tbsp peanut butter flour
3 tbsp raw cacao
Directions – cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add banana and dates to the food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.
3. Add in remaining ingredients and process until everything is incorporated.
4. Scoop batter into paper lined muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Place on a cooling rack and allow to completely cool before icing.
Directions – icing
1. Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth and whipped.
2. Remove from the processor bowl and place in a container.
3. Refrigerate for an hour, or until icing is firm a firm and mousse like consistency.
4. Once icing ready and cupcakes have cooled, pipe icing onto each cupcake and decorate if desired. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.