I think that my favorite meal of the day is breakfast, and since I often get bored of the same breakfast over and over again, I’m always creating new things. Today’s recipe is similar to traditional oatmeal, but instead using quinoa as the whole grain. Nutritionally renowned for its protein content, quinoa makes an excellent addition for vegan and vegetarian dishes. But it’s not just the protein content that is so special, it’s the type of protein. Quinoa contains the perfect balance of all nine essential amino acids! No wonder it’s considered a “superfood!”
I am in desperate need of some new props for my blog! I realized that I don’t have any fun bowls or utensils since my kitchen is all black and white. I like to call it the Chanel kitchen haha. Time to add some color! Prop shopping will be happening this weekend. For now, my favorite cow creamer is making his debut!
Cinnamon Raisin Breakfast Quinoa
-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or nonfat dairy milk)
-1/4 cup dry uncooked quinoa
-1/4 cup raisins
-2 Tbsp sliced almonds
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Combine milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and quinoa in a small saucepan.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Once it reaches a boil, lower heat and cover for 10-15 minutes until the milk has been soaked up.
4. While quinoa is cooking, place raisins in a small bowl of water and let them soak.
5. After quinoa has finished cooking, strain the plump raisins from water and add to quinoa along with the almonds.
6. Serve hot.
Note: I think the light sweetness of the raisins is perfect with the quinoa, but if you like a sweeter breakfast you can add half a tablespoon of agave or honey to the quinoa and milk while it’s cooking.