The inspiration for this recipe came from these quinoa patties, which I have made several times. Sadly, they call for flour and bread crumbs, two things I shouldn’t eat because of my FM. Since I had some coconut flour I needed to use up and I’ve been obsessed with coconut lately in general, coconut quinoa patties seemed like a perfect idea.
*Makes 4 patties (2 servings)
– 15 oz Cannellini beans (1 can)
– 1/2 c. Quinoa (cooked)
– 1 egg
– 1 tbl. Coconut flour (or other flour if you prefer)
– 1/2 c. Shredded coconut (I used sweetened because I couldn’t find unsweetened, but either should work)
– 1/2 tsp. Lemon pepper
– 1-2 tbl. Oil (I used vegetable because it was all we had)
1. Drain and rinse the cannellini beans.
2. Mash the beans. I stop once it all starts to stick together. Very scientific, I know.
3. Mix in the quinoa.
4. Beat the egg, then add it to the mixture.
5. Mix in the shredded coconut.
6. Add the flour and lemon pepper, mix completely.
7. Divide the mixture and form into four balls. Shape the balls into patties.
8. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until slightly browned, flip, and repeat on the second side. For me, it took about 3-5 minutes per side.
That’s it! Fairly quick and painless, at least in my opinion. We served them with our own lazy version of aioli and some greens. In case you’re curious, here’s how we make the “aioli.”
Lazy girl’s aioli: Combine 1/4 c. mayo, 1 tbl. lemon juice, 1 tbl. chopped garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir. Serve.