Kale is a nutritional powerhouse and a great weight loss food! Kale is:
– High in iron – per calorie, kale is actually higher in iron than beef!
– High in antioxidants which aid in cancer prevention
– High in vitamin C which supports the immune system, is great for the skin, and supports healthy metabolism
– High in calcium – per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk, which aids in preventing bone loss, preventing osteoporosis and maintaining a healthy metabolism.
– Low in calories & fat but rich in fiber which is essential for healthy digestion
– Rich in magnesium which supports healthy bones, bowel function, and muscle recovery
I recently found organic pre-cut and washed kale at Trader Joes which means that a meal like this can be ready in less than 10mins! I love it when I find little time savers like this, it just make life so much easier. I also love that kale is hearty and will last a long time in the fridge compared to other leafy greens like spinach or lettuce.
– 1 head of kale, washed and torn into tiny pieces
– 1 can of white navy beans
– 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– sea salt & pepper
– 1 acorn squash
– 1 avocado cut into slices
1. Preheat your over to 400F.
2. Wash the outside skin of the acorn squash. Then cut in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds. Cut the halved squash into strips and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cook for about 30mins or until the edges are browned.
3. While your squash is cooking prepare your kale. In a saute pan over med high heat, add minced garlic (I use this tool, makes life so much easier!), about 1/4 cup water and a dash of salt. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and most of the water has evaporated. I use water in place of oil, it’s an easy way to make the dish fat free!
4. Next add your cut cherry tomatoes and kale and cover. Cook for just a few minutes until the kale has wilted, adjust salt and pepper as needed.
5. Then remove from heat and stir in your beans.
6. Plate and serve with avocado slices and roasted acorn squash. Delish!
Enjoying delicious, nutritious meals like this on a regular basis will accelerate your weight loss and your health! I always say that healthy eating should TASTE GOOD and this meal definitely does just that! You can also serve your acorn squash like fries and dip them in a yummy BBQ sauce (this brand is my absolute fave!) or make your own black pepper ketchup at home!