Who could have predicted that macadamia + honey + ginger would be a match made in tastebud heaven!
When we were in Australia, we were spoiled by fresh macadamias! They sold them on the side of the road at farmstands like you would see apples and potatoes sold here, bags full of fresh nuts that you just wanted to sit down and crack open .
We didn’t have a nut cracker with us, but after buying a bag, I was so desperate to eat them, I cracked them open by banging on them with rocks on the ground. There were orchards upon orchards of macadamia trees just lined with these beauties, the shells filled with this milky, soft, creamy macadamia. You can’t compare them to the ones you find in the store, but somehow using them in this granola brings back so many fun Australia memories and makes me giddy with nostalgia. And longing for fresh macadamias. For now, I’ll just eat the granola.
Ingredients: (3 cups)
2 cups large flake oats
1/3 cup raw buckwheat groats
1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp coconut oil
2-3 tbsp minced ginger
1 cup golden raisins
1. In a large bowl, combine oats, buckwheat groats, cinnamon, salt and nuts.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat coconut oil and honey until melted and then stir in ginger.
3. Leave on low heat, making sure not to boil and stir often for 10-15 minutes to let ginger infuse into the honey and oil.
4. Remove from heat and pour over oat mixture. Add applesauce and stir until completely combined and oats are fully coated in liquid.
5. Pour oat mixture onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
6. Remove and flip the granola, baking on the second side for 15 minutes or until golden.
7. Remove from the oven and leave the granola to cool completely. This allows it to clump together and go crunchy.
8. After an hour, break up the granola and store in an airtight container or jar.
Grab yourself some oats and macadamias and get this granola into your oven. You Won’t be disappointed!