Spring into action with these healthy lemon poppyseed pancakes! A pancake recipe made with wholesome ingredients that will make you feel good about your next brunch.
This past winter, I made it a goal to avoid the season in Toronto for as long as humanly possible. I made a trip to California and Mexico, which eliminated a solid two and a half weeks of the dreadful season.
I don’t know why I thought that somehow returning home from Mexico in March would mean that I skipped winter entirely but the snowstorm pounding down outside made it pretty clear that I was mislead. Nevertheless, I’m hoping these lemon poppyseed pancakes will bring a little sunshine into your life and add a spring in your step as winter continues to rear its ugly head
Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Serves: 6-8 pancakes depending on size
2 cups oat flour (ground up oats)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp organic poppy seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or more if batter is too thick)
1 large organic egg
1 tsp lemon flavoring
2 tbsp pure maple syrup + more for topping, if desired
coconut oil for pan
1. In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking powder, and poppy seeds.
2. Add in almond milk, applesauce, egg, lemon flavoring and maple syrup
3. If batter is too thick add in a bit more almond milk, but batter should NOT be thin like crepes.
4. Spray or melt coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat.
5. Add a 1/3 cup of batter to form pancakes.
6. Cook until all bubbles have popped (about 3 mins) & flip over for 1 min. Repeat until all batter is used.
7. Serve warm with maple syrup, nut butter or berries.