We all know how important it is to drink enough water every day, but eight glasses of plain old water is not very exciting. That’s why I like to spruce things up by squeezing half a lemon into my water. I’ve heard that it can boost immunity and help with digestion, but I recently learned a few new reasons to keep squeezing lemon into my water.
Here are 6 surprising benefits of drinking lemon water.
1) Helps Freshen Breath – One glass of warm lemon water a day can help keep the bad breath germs away. The only negative thing is that lemons are pretty acidic and they can damage the enamel on your teeth, so you want to brush your teeth before drinking it.
2) Reduces Inflammation – Who knew that drinking lemon water reduced acidity in the body? If you drink it regularly, it can reduce uric acid from the joints which is one of the primary causes of inflammation.
3) Helps to Cut Out Caffeine – Replacing your morning cup of joe with lemon water, can help curb your cravings for coffee and other caffeinated drinks.
4) Helps Fight Viral Infections – Lemons are full of nutrients, including, vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, fiber and potassium. Which is why they can really help boost your immune system and help fight off diseases, even viruses.
5) Helps Curb Cravings – Lemons contain pectin fiber which can help fight those sweet cravings.
6) Gives You an Energy Boost – I’ve noticed lemon water gives me an extra boost of energy, thats why I love to drink it first thing in the morning.
Who knew all of those great benefits could come out of a little lemon? I just have two words for you, drink up!