Yoga isn’t just a workout, it’s a way of life, and any seasoned yogi knows that it’s not always easy to keep up the practice. If you are new to yoga here are 8 tips that will help you look and feel like a pro in no time.
1. Just breathe. Pay attention to your breath and move accordingly. Breath is your center in yoga.
2. Go with a friend. Going to your first yoga class can be intimidating but if you bring a friend, it will be even more fun!
3. Get a mat. Having a mat is a crucial part of yoga. You need it to keep from slipping and sweating all over the place!
4. Don’t compare yourself to other yogis. Looking around the studio and seeing others doing poses you have only seen at the circus can be intimidating. Don’t let other people’s practice influence yours!
5. Ask for help. Want to try a new pose but aren’t sure? Ask a yoga instructor for help. That’s what they are there for!
6. Bring a towel. Whether you are taking a hot yoga class or flow class, you are going to sweat. Don’t let it stop you from reaching your full yogi potential!
7. Do you. If the class is doing a pose you just know isn’t for you, don’t do it! There is simply no reason to risk injury. Try a simpler variation or relax for a bit in child’s pose.
8. Keep coming back! Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither was a yogi! Keep trying different classes and instructors and find what works for you!