If you’ve already made my DIY Workout Shirt and DIY Multi-Strand Scarf you can now complete your look with a DIY Workout Headband! Keep your bangs or little whispy hairs out of your face during an intense sweat session, or hit the yoga studio in style with this super cute five strand braided headband!
– 1 old T-shirt
– 1 pair of scissors
– 1 piece of tape
– 30 minutes
*You could make up to 3 headbands depending on the size of your shirt & amount of fabric left!
1. Start with a large T-shirt. Any old shirt will do! Seamless is a plus!
2. Cut off the bottom hem of the shirt. Then cut five 1in wide strips horizontally across the shirt starting from the bottom. You can use a ruler to guide a straight line across the shirt, but don’t worry if they aren’t perfect.
3. Set the bottom hem aside. Stretch all of the remaining strips until they become long, and the raw edges start to roll inwards.
4. Cut the five strands in half so they become long strands (instead of circles).
5. Gather the five strands, and secure them onto a hard surface with tape. This will make it easier for you to braid. Take the outside left strand and place it one over to the right.
6. Take the middle strand and place it one over to the left.
7. Take the outside right strand and place it one over to the left.
8. Take the middle strand and place it one over to the right.
9. Have you noticed the pattern? outside over one to the right, middle over one to the left, outside over one to the left, middle over one to the right … work from the left three strands, to the right 3 strands. Keep repeating these steps (9-12 are the same as 5-8)! Take the outside left strand and place it one over to the right.
10. Take the middle strand and place it one over to the left.
11. Take the outside right strand and place it one over to the left.
12. Take the middle strand and place it one over to the right.
13. Once you have finished braiding, trim the headband to fit your head, leaving about an inch on each end for knotting.
14. Start by double knotting one strand from each end of the braid together.
15. Match each end with another strand from the opposite end and double knot.
16. Trim the ends off of the double knots, and you’re done!
Tadaaaa! A chic headband for your next workout! You could even make 2 or 3 headbands out of one shirt, woo!