Someone once gave me the following advice:
“Never put something on your skin that you wouldn’t put in your mouth.”
And it’s so true! Skin is an absorptive surface and chemicals can leach through. So banish the synthetic scrubs and make your own out of only a few household ingredients and some dried Marigold, which is used by herbalists for speeding up skin healing. It’s amazing stuff, and the infused oil can be used directly on eczema or broken skin to aid recovery.
What you’ll need:
– 30g (about 1 ounce) dried Marigold/Calendula Officinalis (available as a tea at health food stores)
– 60mL (about 2 ounces) Sweet Almond Oil
– 20-30 drops Lavender Essential Oil
– 220g (about 7.7 ounces) Brown Sugar
– To make the infused oil, grind the dried marigold to a powder, pour it into a jar, and cover with the almond oil. Leave somewhere cool and dark for two weeks, giving it a shake each day to ensure the lot is well-coated. Then strain through muslin. Take the oil and add 20-30 drops lavender essential oil as preservative, then stir through the sugar until well combined.
And you’re done! It’s that easy. Store it in the fridge to lengthen its shelf life.
(As always guys, if you have any of these conditions, be sure to seek medical advice. This home remedy is backed by traditional herbal use and modern research, but may not be for everyone and isn’t intended as cure.)